Sunday, January 2, 2011

Consider it pure joy...

This year has been interesting.  All 2 days of it.


Within 1 hour of waking up on the first, I hit my foot on the ottoman while getting up off the couch and broke my pinky toe on my right foot.  Awesome.  I can walk barefoot with minimal pain, but wearing shoes hurts!  I limped all around church today.  My little toe is very bruised and a little swollen, but hopefully it will heal fast.


That same day as I was taking a shower I heard the toilet bubbling.  I don't think that is ever a good sign.  My shower had also stopped draining.  We live in a old house in a neighborhood with lots of trees, we probably have a root problem AGAIN.  The only bright spot in this situation is the new pipe and drain we had installed this past spring allowed us to get everything drained and survive until Monday. 


That night, I was getting Langley ready for bed and she had horrible diaper rash.  I just appeared!  I had changed her diaper probably 7 times already that day and within a few hours this really bad rash and bumps appeared.  She has never had diaper rash (occasional redness, but it always cleared up with some aquaphor,) so I got a little panicky and had to google it.  Thank goodness I have a good supply of desitin and butt paste we got at baby showers :-)  It looks a little better today.


All of that happened within 12 hours. 


Then, this morning, Josh was dealing with the plumbing issue again when he tripped and fell -- face planted-- and broke our bedroom door.  I started crying first, then laughing, this had all gotten surreal!  Get this: in the fall he hurt his toe!  Oh.My.Word.  Josh is not clumsy, he does not trip and fall (like me!) so I thought he was having a serious problem when I heard his big self crash into the door and hit the floor.  Ya'll, it's been crazy!


All I could think of today was the verse in James that says something like 'consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds...it develops perseverance...' 


Church was good for the soul today!  Kyle Cochran preached today on choosing this new year to focus on "not what I'll do, but who I'll be."  I totally related to this because I do not do resolutions!  Here where the main points:
  1. I will decide to be a person who comes (to church) regularly. [Hebrews 10:25]
  2. I will decide to be a person who studies (the bible) diligently. [2 Timothy 2:15]
  3. I will decide to be a person who prays faithfully. [1 Thessalonians 5:17 and Colossians 4:2]
  4. I will decide to be a person who gives generously. [Malachi 3:10-12 and 2 Corinthians 9:7]
  5. I will decide to be a person who serves accordingly. [1 Peter 4:10]
  6. I will decide to be a person who lives intentionally. [Colossians 4:3-6]
  7. I will decide to be a person who loves completely. [Colossians 3:14]
I can improve in all of these areas, but I really want to work on # 4,5,6,and 7!  Maybe this will inspire some of you like it did me today! 


Have a good night!

No comments: